Monday, December 13, 2010

Snowflake Garland DIY

We originally bought the snowflake punch to make placemats similar to the ones I made for Halloween, but I discovered that they didn't quite work the same as the cats in the mats. They're not solid shapes, they're shapes within shapes. I could salvage this, I thought. So my next attempt was to glue the snowflakes on red poster board, only...I haven't been able to find poster board in a shade of red or green that doesn't make my eyes bleed. Needless to say, that was scrapped in favor of sewn placemats. I still had a pile of snowflakes begging to be used. I was reading some of my favorite blogs this weekend and saw photos of various dainty looking garlands, and thought to myself that these might look just as good.

Materials needed:
Poster board
Thread & needle
Snowflake Punch (we bought ours at Michaels)

Cut out snowflakes. I averaged around 50 per garland. Tie a snowflake at one end. Thread a large needle with the thread and work it through one hole, and then back through another. Slide the snowflake down a bit and continue. Once you've reached the desired length, tie off another snowflake that the end. I finished off the knot with fabric glue. It's not necessary, just force of habit. Hang the garland and space the snowflakes.



I'm very pleased with them!




{ Images click through to larger versions }

We kept the little punched out bits and used them for paper snow, sprinkling them around one of our candle displays.

No comments:

Post a Comment