Tuesday, January 18, 2011

I Love You More Than All The Stars...

I've been having going through a particularly rough patch recently and Michael has been absolute awesomesauce in supporting me. He's been instrumental in motivating me to finish the bedroom with him. It wasn't easy on his part but he was successful. This past weekend we built the pelmet for the one window we have in our bedroom, which is actually the FROG.

I love Shanna Murray's decals, especially this one. I wanted to have it in our room so Michael can read it every morning when he opens his eyes, and my thinking was that the pelmet would be perfect place. Yup, I'm very much a romantic geek! I try to support artists whenever I can but dangit, after buying the supplies to make the pelmet base it pained me we could not justify buying the decals from her. So DIY it was!

Now, I don't trust my handwriting these days so drawing the letters freehand was out of the question. It took a day for the 'aha' moment to arrive and I could set about making them. I downloaded the Markus Ink font I and put a stroke/border around the type for my cutting guides. I printed them on full sheet adhesive labels in a series of three pages. Once printed, I sat down and cut out the shapes. I find this kind of work very therapeutic. I used the scraps to cut out the stars would stick to the pelmet front and the stars for the garland were cut from the scrap poster board from the snowflake garlands I made during the holidays. We hung the pelmet and strung the garlands, once I finished sewing them.

Pelmet Montage

Fresh from the printer. | Finished cutting. | Applied to pelmet surface {all edges have been smoothed out}. | Ta-da! | Shooting stars. | Stars detail.

I'm still looking forward to buying something from Shanna down the road, particularly these!

No comments:

Post a Comment