Tuesday, May 18, 2010

feather & bone

Lately, I've been loosely following all of the amazing blogs I subscribe to in my Google Reader. I happened to miss this new venture from Nectar & Light called feather & bone. They're really beautiful. I know Aileen would love to have some of these. I know I do!

Here are a few examples:

feather & bone
{ No. 8 | No. 15 | No 16 | No. 5 }

...Life and death. Art and Science.

I spent two incredibly magical afternoons last November hand selecting the specimens in the 'Feather & Bone' collection with the generous support and aid of the Vertebrate Zoology Collections Manager at University of Colorado Museum of Natural History.

There was something spiritual about being in the presence of such carefully cultivated history. Opening the drawers of the specimen cabinets to reveal what hidden treasures - in form of feather and bone - lay within. Hand scribed notes detailing the dates and locations each dated further in time than the last. The light granted me that day washed across the specimens with a gentle touch and ignited the new found power within their feathers, skins and bones - to teach new generations about their history and relevance. Magical.

Each photograph in this series was shot with a vintage Polaroid 680SLR camera. Prints are professionally printed on acid free, archival photo paper with a linen texture. Each photograph is 8x8 inches and is hand signed.

No comments:

Post a Comment